A Quick Guide On Breast Implants Materials
Breast Augmentation is a cosmetic surgery that ranks on the top in the list of surgeries performed in the USA. There are many myths associated with breast augmentation. If the census is to be believed more than 300,000 breast augmentation surgeries are performed each year in the USA alone. If you or someone you know is planning for breast augmentation surgery then this post is for you. They are used to enhance your body structure, help you look confident and pose a charming and an attractive figure.
About 95% of women who undergo breast augmentation surgery are satisfied with the results. however, 4% expressed distress for not choosing to enhance them more. Since it is a surgery after all it too has its own risks and disadvantages. The issues with breast augmentation surgery include bleeding, infection, capsular contracture and implant deflation. So, the surgery should be performed by someone who has immense experience in the field. So, here is everything you need to know about the implant material before undergoing a cosmetic breast augmentation surgery.
FDA has approved only 3 suppliers of breast implants in the USA after analyzing their supply on various parameters. They are Mentor, Allergan, and Sientra. Although there are numerous other breast implant suppliers available in various other parts of the world. Among other countries, the FDA in the USA has the strictest, so it is recommended that you buy or use implants from these suppliers only.
Saline or Silicone?
FDA has approved Saline implants for women above the age of 18. In Saline breast augmentation, the breasts of the patient are filled with inert salt water. The advantage of using them is that the fluid in these implants is absorbed by the body in case the implants are ruptured in an accident. They are however less common in practice.
Other notable benefits of saline implants are
- They can be placed through smaller incursions.
- They can be used by younger women
- The salt water that the body absorbs come from the decreased size of breast in case of an accident. So it can be noticed easily in case of emergency.
Disadvantages of Saline implants
- They feel and look less natural compared to silicon implants
- If the patient is thin structured the saline implants are visible in the form of palpable rippling.
FDA has approved Silicone implants for women above the age of 22. In Silicon breast augmentation, the breast of the patient have filed with form stable silicon. It is a synthetic material similar to a woman’s breasts.
Other notable benefits of silicone implants are
- They feel and look very natural, even on a woman of a thin structure.
- They are placed below the pectoralis major muscle.
- They move and look like regular breast making them more common in practice.
Disadvantages of Silicone implants
- They require a larger incision during breast augmentation surgery.
- During an accident, it is difficult to detect breast fillings
- Women with Silicone implants are advised to undergo MRI surveillance every 2 years since the date of breast augmentation surgery.
Silicone implants are an obvious choice here and to know more about them or if you want to undergo the procedure, you can contact us.