Many adults realized they too had autism when they took their children for a diagnostic assessment. As a result, they became aware of some of the symptoms in them that they neglected for years and of course they also took an autism test.
Some adults said that, if they hadn’t taken their kids for an autism test they will never have realized that they too had autism.
So for some adults who don’t have kids with autism, not to talk of taking them for a test, will never really realize they have autism till the end of their days. Some of the symptoms that should have triggered their awareness will be seen to them as a normal trait.
Thanks to the advent of information technology where tons of information is now available online – blogs, social networks etc. This makes awareness more known to adults and people are now embracing the idea of taking an autism test.
There are several online sites where you can be able to take a test. It has become easier for adults to not just take an autism test but also become aware of its existence and symptoms, so as to detect it early enough and find a cure.
Some of the symptoms that adults should look for are:
- Difficulty in socializing and making friends in general. If you are someone who finds it difficult to give a receive a compliment, then this is another symptom you should look for as an adult.
- Having some degree of sensory sensitivity. You might notice that you are distracted and can’t carry a conversation while the music is playing or that you feel tired under a certain light.
- You might speak with a strange accent or some sign of stress in your voice, you might also use gestures that seem inappropriate or don’t match what you are trying to express. You might stammer.
- Adults with autism might become frustrated when they are unable to pursue their focused interest. For some their interest might change at often times.
- Also depression might occur which is often due to isolation. Another is an obsessive compulsive disorder, which has to do with the area of focus of interest.
- Lack of nonverbal communication skills like facial expressions, eye contact and body language.
Many of these symptoms are becoming more available to adults as they surf through the internet, most especially social networking sites and also when they take their kids for a test.
And most times, they conduct these test online, as they are helping their kids take the test, they see some of the above symptoms appearing in them.